This is the cake version of Neapolitan ice cream, except there's a raspberry layer instead of a strawberry one.
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 6 drops pink food coloring.
- 2 - 3 drops raspberry flavoring (or other "pink" flavor), optional
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 batch of buttercream frosting (I recommend this one.)
- 1-2 drops raspberry flavoring
- 4 - 6 drops pink food coloring
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. milk
- Line, grease, and flour three cake pans and a 12-cupcake pan (the cupcakes are just for the extra chocolate batter).
- Preheat oven to the temperature listed on the box.
- Prepare the vanilla cake mix as directed. Split the batter into two bowls.
- To one half of the batter, stir in the almond extract.
- For the pink layer, add the pink food coloring and raspberry flavoring.
- Bake each cake as the box directs. Let cool.
- While the white and pink cakes are cooling, prepare the box of chocolate cake batter. Split the batter into two parts.
- Pour half the batter evenly among the 12-cupcake pan.
- To the other half, stir in the chocolate chips. Pour the chocolate chip batter into the third prepared cake pan.
- Bake the chocolate cake and cupcakes as the box directs. Let them cool.
- Set the cupcakes aside.
- Prepare the buttercream frosting as directed.
- Split the frosting into three parts. To a third of the frosting, add 1 drop of raspberry flavoring and 4 - 6 drops of pink food coloring. Set aside.
- To another third of the frosting, add 1/2 cup cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon milk. Set aside.
- Level each of the three cakes. Lay the chocolate cake layer on the pan and add a thin layer of brown/chocolate frosting over the top.
- Lay the pink layer on top of the chocolate cake and add a thin layer of the pink/raspberry frosting over the top. Do the same with the white/vanilla cake and frosting.
- Add a crumb coat on the outside of the cake, making sure to match the color of each layer. In other words, spread a thin layer of brown frosting on the bottom third, pink frosting on the middle third, and white frosting on the remaining top portion.
- Chill the cake in the refrigerator for about 1 hour.
- Take the cake out of the fridge and pipe roses (or other decoration of your choice) onto the cake. A 1M piping tip was used to make the roses.
- With any extra frosting you may have, frost the cupcakes. Enjoy!