I know last Tuesday was Pi Day (and I posted a recipe then, too), but we had more than one pie. Instead of keeping this pie recipe until next year, I decided to follow up pie with more pie. :)
Because, really, is there such a thing as too much pie?
Okay, there probably is. But still, two great pie recipes in a month ain't a bad thing!
- 4 eggs, 1 separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups cream/2% or whole milk
- 3 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- 1 9-inch deep dish pie crust
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Beat 1 egg white with a fork. Brush the inside of the pie crust.
- Whisk 3 eggs, 1 yolk, sugar, salt, vanilla, milk and food coloring together.
- Pour the custard into the prepared pie crust and sprinkle the top with nutmeg.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the pie on a rack.
- Chill for at least a few hours (overnight is preferable) in a refrigerator.