Have you ever tried the amazing chocolate ice-cream hard shell from the store? All you have to do is pour it on ice cream and within a few seconds it turns into a wonderful, hard shell of chocolate.
If you've ever tried it, you were probably like me. You probably assumed that it was something you had to buy. But that's just not true. Are you ready for this? Here I go:
You can make your own chocolate hard shell!
And best of all, it easy. It's so easy, in fact, that once you read the recipe, you probably won't need to look at it again.
ICE-CREAM HARD SHELL
- 1 (11-12 oz.) package chocolate baking pieces
- 1/4 cup coconut (or vegetable) oil
- Stir together in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on half power for one minute and then stir. Continue to cook at 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until almost melted. Remove and stir until completely melted. When ready to use, pour over ice cream and let it sit for awhile. The chocolate should harden and become a “shell”.
- Store the chocolate shell in a glass jar at room temperature for up to a week.
- When you want to use it, reheat (uncovered) on half power for about 40 seconds (or until softened, but not warm) and stir.
Try this with Snow Ice-cream. Homemade ice-cream and homemade chocolate shell, sounds like a win-win to me!