Lots of ingredients, lots of tasty!
|Photo taken by Tyler.|
- 1 pound whole milk cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups (3 ounces) Parmesan, grated
- 1 pound ziti
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 5 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Black pepper
- 3/4 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups (8 ounces) low-moisture mozzarella cheese, cut into ¼ inch pieces
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350.
- Whisk cottage cheese, eggs and 1 cup of the Parmesan together in a bowl. Set aside. B
- Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large Dutch oven over high heat.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon salt and pasta; cook until pasta begins to soften but is not heated all the way through (5 to 7 minutes).
- Drain pasta and leave in colander (do not wash Dutch oven.)
- Meanwhile, heat the oil and garlic in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until garlic is fragrant but not brown, (about 2 minutes).
- Stir in tomato sauce, dices tomatoes and oregano; simmer until thickened (about 10 minutes).
- Take off heat, stir in 1/2 cup basil and sugar, then season with salt and pepper.
- Stir cornstarch into heavy cream in a small bowl, transfer mixture to now-empty Dutch oven set over medium heat. Bring to simmer and cook until thickened (about 3 to 4 minutes).
- Remove pot from heat and add cottage cheese mixture, 1 cup tomato sauce, and 3/4 cup mozzarella, then stir to combine. Add pasta and stir to coat thoroughly with sauce.
- Transfer pasta mixture to a 13-by-9-inch baking dish and spread remaining tomato sauce evenly over pasta. Sprinkle remaining 3/4 cup mozzarella and remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan over top.
- Cover baking dish tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to cook until cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown, about 30 minutes longer.
- Cool for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons basil and serve.