These muffins are simply a variation of the Bakery-Style Muffins I posted shared last week. I know the picture's not the best, but they're truly delicious. :)
LEMON POPPY SEED MUFFINS
- 3 cups flour
- 3 Tbsp. poppy seeds
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 10 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cup plus 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest (you can use the same lemon for the juice below)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups plain (or vanilla... mmm!) yogurt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 and grease a 12-cup muffin pan.*
- Stir the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside.
- In a mixer, beat the butter and sugar (1 3/4 cup sugar plus 3 Tbsp.) together until fluffy and pale. Stir in the lemon zest.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix until combined.
- Add the yogurt and the dry ingredients, alternating between the two.
- Scoop (or pour) the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- In a sauce pan, dissolve the 1/4 cup sugar in the lemon juice and allow the mixture to become a syrup (about 3 - 4 minutes).
- Let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the muffins from the pan, and brush each with syrup.
*Seeing how much our muffins stuck, if you've got a not-so-non-stick pan, I recommend lining your muffin tin.
Recipe adapted from Cook's Illustrated Baking Book.
Updated on May 27, 2017.