I posted a cake recipe last week, and I'm posting another one today! Can you tell that I love cake?
If you love cake, lemons and poppy seeds too, then you should make this cake and shove it in your
POPPY SEED BUNDT CAKE
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds, toasted
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 Tbsp. lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. water
- Grease and flour a 10 inch/12 cup Bundt pan.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Whisk the flours, seeds, baking powder, soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Mix the buttermilk, oil, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice together. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer, beat the eggs, egg whites and sugar together for about five minutes, or until pale and thickened.
- Alternate between the dry ingredients and the liquid ingredients, adding them to the eggs/sugar.
- Pour the batter into the Bundt pan and make the top even.
- Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean (and the cake springs back after being touched).
- Pull the cake out of the oven, allow it to cool for 5 minutes, and then turn it onto a rack.
- While the cake is cooling, make the glaze. Mix the powdered sugar with the lemon juice and water.
- Poke holes in the cake (about 1 inch deep) and then spread the glaze over the cake with a pastry brush.
- Allow the cake to cool.
Recipe adapted from EatingWell.