September 22 was officially the first day of Autumn!
I love parts of every season, but Fall's crisp air, beautiful leaves and delicious apple desserts make it my favorite season. I'm very happy to know it's officially here!
Apple Braid Bread is a delicious (and beautiful) way to welcome your taste buds to the Autumn season. Enjoy!
APPLE BRAID BREAD
- 3 apples, peeled and sliced
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. milk for topping
- 1 Tbsp. sugar for topping
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 5 tsp. cream
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Mix the apples, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Microwave the apples (in a microwave-safe pan) until soft, about 5 minutes, or bake the apples (in an oven-safe pan) for 15 minutes.
- Stir the flour, sugar, and yeast together. Add the water and oil. Mix the ingredients in an electric stand mixer (with a bread hook) for 6 minutes.
- Turn the dough onto a parchment-lined cutting board and roll it out (so that it's slightly smaller than a 12-by-16-inch pan.)
- Neatly lay the apples in two rows so that they're in the middle third of the dough. Cut the dough in 1-inch diagonal strips on both sides of the apples. (See the first picture below).
- Take the first strip on the left side and lay it across the apples. Take the first strip on the right side and lay it across the first strip. Next, take the second strip on the left side and lay it over the last strip (from the right side). Continue in this way until you reach the end. (See the pictures for help.)
- Brush with the milk and sprinkle with the tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool. To make the glaze, mix the powdered sugar, cream, vanilla, salt and nutmeg together. After the bread is cool, drizzle the glaze on top.
- Eat it.