Well, the Cookie Series is officially over, but there's still plenty of room for desserts on my blog!
For the first post of 2016, I wanna share a cupcake recipe with you. Enjoy!
CHOCOLATE SOUR CREAM CUPCAKES
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups (1 pound) powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3 to 4 Tbsp. milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted, cooled
- Preheat oven to 350. Line each muffin cup (in a 24 cup pan) with a paper cupcake/baking cup.
- Stir the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and baking powder together and set aside.
- Beat the shortening in an electric mixer (on medium speed) for about 30 seconds. Then, add the sugar 1/4 cup at a time. Beat for 2 more minutes.
- Next, slowly add the eggs one a time while the mixer is still running. Then add the sour cream and vanilla.
- Turn mixer to slow speed and alternate between the flour mixture and the water.
- Once the batter is ready, pour it into the muffin cups, filling each one about 2/3 of the way.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes, and then remove them from the pans and set them on a cooling rack.
- If you want to make the frosting, simply beat the ingredients in a mixer until it forms a smooth, spreadable frosting. If it's too thick, add milk 1 tsp. at a time until it reaches the right consistency.
- Enjoy your yummy cupcakes!
Thanks to The Big Book of Cupcakes for its wonderful recipe!