- 2 cups water
- 1 butternut squash, unpeeled, half and seeded
- 1/2 cup whole grain rice
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 pound sausage
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 (13.75 ounce) chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 375. Pour 1 cup water into a 9-by-13-inch pan.
- Place the squash into the prepared dish, cut side down.
- Bake until squash is easily pierced with a fork, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place rice and remaining 1 cups of water into a saucepan. Bring to a boil, uncovered, over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until water is absorbed and rice is fluffy, about 20 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion, and cook until tender and transparent, about 5 minutes. Mix in the turkey sausage; cook until crumbly and evenly browned. Drain. Stir in rice and corn.
- Scoop out cooked squash and place in a blender/food processor. Discard squash peels. Pour the chicken broth into a blender with the squash and blend until smooth.
- Stir the blended squash mixture into the sausage mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in heavy cream, if desired.
- Simmer over medium-high heat until heated through, about 15 minutes, but do not boil.