There is a restaurant that has something to do with olives and gardens. This restaurant makes amazing breadsticks.
No, it's not a riddle, I don't want to pay the restaurant for using their name. I will just call them the Grape Garden. If you want to make it sound fancy, we could call them the Oliven Garten. No? Fine.
My Mom decided to make a copycat Grape Garden dinner one night. She made salad dressing, salad, pasta, and breadsticks. Wonderful, delicious breadsticks.
GRAPE GARDEN BREADSTICKS
- 1 cup and 2 Tbsp. warm water (110-115F.)
- 1 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 3+ cups flour
- 1 3/4 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- In your electric mixer, whisk the water, yeast, and 1/2 tsp. of the sugar together until the yeast is dissolved. Allow the yeast to rest for 10 minutes.
- After the yeast has rested, add the rest of the sugar (1 Tbsp. and 2 1/2 tsp.), half of the flour (1 1/2 cups), salt, and vegetable oil. Put the paddle attachment on the mixer and mix the mixture (ha-ha!) until well combined.
- Switch the mixers paddle attachment with a dough hook, and add in the remaining flour (1 1/2 cups). Kneed the dough on low speed until the it is smooth and elastic. You may have to add up to 1/4 cup of flour. The dough should pull away from the sides of the bowl, but it should still be a little bit sticky.
- Butter a large bowl. Transfer the dough to the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow it to rise in a warm room for about 1 1/2 hours, or until it has doubled.
- Grease two cookie sheets. Punch down the dough, and then divide it into 12 equal portions (approximately 2 ounces each).
- Lightly flour your work surface. Keep the idle portions covered with plastic wrap as you roll each piece into a 9 inch rope. After you roll each piece, move them onto the cookie sheets.
- Cover the cookie sheets with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise for an hour in a warm room.
- During the last 10 minutes of rising, preheat your oven to 425.
- Bake the breadsticks for 11-13 minutes until golden. For a golden crust, you can broil yours for the last minute. Meanwhile, mix the salt with the garlic powder in a small pinch bowl.
- When the they come out of the oven, spread the butter on them and immediately sprinkle the salt/garlic mixture over the tops of the breadsticks.
Thanks, Cooking Classy, for letting me use your recipe!
Smile and say "Yum"!
Smile and say "Yum"!